Thursday, May 29, 2008

vintage ruffle scarf



This is a little bit of an archive/catching up on projects I've done, but I first made this scarf for a fundraiser at work over a year ago and there were two people that wanted it so much that I made a second. I made it again last Fall for the same fundraiser and once again two people wanted it so much that I made it for both. My mom wanted one for Christmas (shown). And my grandma wanted one for her friend. I’m sure next Christmas they’ll be requested again. Somehow these are a little bit like the potholders: I tried the pattern and now I want to move on, but people like it so I’ll keep making it.
This pattern is easy to follow – there are two stitches used (single crochet and double) and it is made in continuous rows along the length. I have made this using several different kinds of yarn and have always been pleased with how it turns out. When using a lighter weight yarn I add to the beginning chain and go through round 5, but not through the last two since the yarn for those rounds in the pattern is different than a worsted weight. It moves quickly too as you are using large, loose stitches and only make 4-5 rounds on the length.

I also really enjoy this book – the projects are really beautiful and the patterns are laid out really nicely and are easy to follow. If you are looking for a simple crochet book with a nice collection of patterns beyond hats and scarves, this would be a good choice.

From: Essential Crochet by Erika Knight
Material: a thick or chunky weight yarn - I used Lion's Brand Chenille Thick & Quick in Marine
Tool: Crochet hook P-15 (10 mm)

No comments: