Tuesday, July 22, 2008

blueberry pie

Before it's August and I've passed a whole month since making this for July 4th, here's how this year's pie-of-choice came out.




And it was a hit to say the least. While nothing compares with the homemade cream puffs and reserve wine that one couple brings every year, the pie made it's stand against the plethora of desserts on the table and didn't last long. Our friend even stole the last piece before any one else could so he could have it for breakfast the next morning!

The recipe was pretty straight forward. The only challenge I had was rolling out the crust. I've never rolled dough between parchment paper before; it took some work to get used to it and keep the paper from sliding all over the counter. And the ends of the crust ended up being really thick and heavy so that it hung over the dish (which made traveling kind of tricky, but it all worked out). The crust also cracked during baking, but the blueberry juice bubbled up and made a ring around the pie crust that actually looked very pretty. The crust was incredible with the cornmeal. It was flaky and a little dry, but it complimented the amount of juice made by the blueberries.

And I did make the lemon cream (after being coerced into making it by my mother cause she wanted it) but there is enough sugar in the pie that you don't need it. The cream wasn't very popular and didn't enhance the flavor of the blueberries in any outstanding way. It just left us with 2 cups of lemon cream that I gave to my parents to figure out what to do with it.

Overall, it was a sucess and I'll make this again in an instant when ever I have the need for the occasional required non-chocolate dessert.

No comments: