Friday, August 1, 2008

backstory

Growing up, I had five girl friends that as individuals couldn’t be more different from each other, but we came to see each as a part of ourselves. We have now been friends for over 15 years and I can’t play favorites with any of these incredible women, especially when I know how lucky I am to have had them with me nearly all my life.


When we were young, and throughout high school, we occasionally talked about getting married and having kids. We’d take bets on who would be the first and second and so on. In these moments, K would exclaim she was never getting married and never having kids, which just gave me reason to believe that she’d be one of the first of our group to get hitched. But when K announced she was engaged last summer and set the date I decided I needed to do something big to show how happy I am for her and her husband and that would be something special to commemorate their day – which turned into the making of a quilt in their wedding colors and patterns that reflected her style and interests.

After 8 months, 12 yards of fabric, a new sewing machine, and many many long weekends at my parents’ house (my studio apartment is nice, but not big), I managed to pull the whole thing together two weeks before leaving for the wedding. While there were moments I wanted to scrap the whole thing and give up, I was thrilled with how it turned out – and better yet K loved it too! There were even some tears (from K), and a few comments on how I showed everyone up, which wasn’t my intention. We joke that when you know someone for as long as we have, they know you better than you know yourself - or at least find you very predictable. So all the effort was worth it, although I’m not sure what I’m going to do when the others get married, at least I hope they give me enough time between events to plan something out!

No comments: