Friday, May 18, 2012

touchup in blue

We have a large L-shaped couch that we love. It's a little big for our space, but we got a great deal on it from a friend and couldn't resist. And because it's so big we have it divided - hubby and I get one side, and the dog has the other.



Over the last year of having the couch, we've gone through several sheets and blankets in an attempt to to protect the section of leather Nola lays on. The latest old sheet was ready to be trashed, and I wanted something that actually fit the couch cushions, and wouldn't come untucked or drag on the ground.

E and I were at Ikea a few weeks back and grabbed a duvet cover set. He asked me to make pillows from the pillowcases and the duvet cover woud be more than enough to make a new slipcover for a section of the couch.


This was such a quick project. In just two evenings I repurposed the duvet set so we now have two new couch pillows, a new slipcover for another pillow made from a remanat of the curtain fabric, and a nice fitted cover for the couch! The best thing about the slipcover is that it has elastic all the way around the bottom, so Nola won't be able to pull it up.  I followed the crib sheet turtorial on Prudent Baby, which was really very simple and I plan to use it again and again once we pick out a crib and mattress.


The blues from the duvet set and the curtains don't really go together, but they aren't clashing either, and I kind of like it.



There is one more peice for this "set". Since we had a new bay window installed, Nola loves to sit in it. In order to get up there though, she has to climb over the back of the couch and has already put scratches in the leather. I have more than enough left of this bright blue dot fabric to make some kind of cover here. Hoping to get that done soon before I move on to too many other projects.

No comments: