Tuesday, April 23, 2013

garden wall

My Garden Wall quilt is finally finished - I started this in 2012, but it'll count for 2013.

2012 2013 012

Starting projects that aren't for your baby when you're pregnant pretty much guarentees they won't be done when you intended them to be. Our friend's little girl turned one at the beginning of January, I had this quilted and bound by February, and it's been in a box to be shipped since March. She might get it when she's two.

IMAG0186

I was able to use my stash for everything in this quilt. I kept thinking of The Secret Garden when I worked on this, with all the floral prints, the color scheme and the layout of the blocks like little bricks. The quilt top came together quickly and I actually had it finished last March. It is embarassing that it took me the rest of 2012 to put together 3 Dresden flowers and get this quilted, but again I'm blaming the fact that I was pregant and nesting.

2012 2013 018

Making the Dresden flowers was a simple process (especially with all the great tutorials and free templates out there). It was laying them out on the backing fabric and sewing them that was a little tricky, simply because I didn't have a large enough space to work on. I was pinning on the ironning board and was afraid of it all not being flat and smooth. But I only had to rip stitched once, otherwise it was fine.

The one upside to the timing is that the weather is nice and I might need to look for my childhood copy of the book to re-read it under a shady tree.

No comments: