Wednesday, June 25, 2008

a la americana

I feel like I've been procrastinating (oh again). I’ve been going through the last month saying, “This week I’ll…” and running off a mental to do list of all the various projects I have been meaning to get to. But, alas, they still remain in the same neat pile in the corner as neglected as always and waiting for the eventual Someday.


For now I'll just mention that I am excited for the Fourth of July. One of the few all-American traditions my family really goes for is Independence Day. Nearly every year for as long as I can remember, and with very few exceptions, we go to Sonoma for a friend’s barbeque. The party goes for most of the day in the front yard and at night we pull up chairs and watch the fireworks go off in the park across the street. I have no doubts that aside from the friendship we have with this family, the draw of good food and lots of alcohol both play a very serious role in keeping us coming back. The hosts always do an amazing BBQ, with prime cuts of meat from the local restaurants that they are connected to, and everyone pitches in potluck style. We have always brought dessert. My mom would not show up without at least one tray of brownies and I use the occasion to make a pie or crisp.

So this year I was browsing epicurious and have decided on a blueberry pie with cornmeal crust. I am very excited. I have wanted to bake something for several weeks now since the last time was early May. And even though I keep craving my favorite chocolate and vanilla cookies that I haven’t had in forever, I think the pie takes precedence. Maybe, just for fun, I’ll bring some lemon sorbetto instead of making the cream topping.

No comments: