Sunday, June 1, 2008

pretty placemat

While perusing the wedding gift registry for one of my best friends, I noticed that the couple had picked out gorgeous china settings but had no placemats or napkins. This friend loves to have dinner parties and sets the table for each event. I did pick out a few pieces from the registry, but wanted to do a little more.


I found this pattern in Amy Butler's book In Stitches. The set includes four 21" x 24" napkins and four placemats. The placemats are supposed to be heavy cotton or home decor fabric - I used a navy blue jacquard and a stripe with blue, green and purple on beige. The napkins are a mid-weight cotton. I love the combination of prints on the napkins and I really wanted these to work in combination with their everyday dishes (green, teal, blue) and the china (white and silver).

She really loved them - to the point that she has them on the table all the time and her husband now has to build his mechanical toys elsewhere so they don't get dirty! Since she has 8 settings, I am in the process of making another set. I was hoping to get them done by their first anniversary, but once again I'm late! Although I should be able to finish them in the next few weeks - it'll give me a good reason to go and visit. I was able to get more of the navy blue for the placemats and had enough of the teal print for the napkins, so I did pick out two other fabrics, but I think they will all work together and give her a very pretty table for her guests to enjoy.


No comments: